What Corporate Legal Advice Do You Need?
You, like everyone we help, will have different business plans for different reasons.
For instance, you might have decided the time is right to grow your business. If so, you might need to raise finance for marketing, product development or staff recruitment. Or maybe you want to grow in a different way. A merger? Joint venture? Or maybe a management buyout or refinancing deal?
If so, you need look no further than our corporate solicitors for the legal help you need. We have over 20 years combined experience advising business owners on a range of legal advice, growth strategies and financing.
But what if you don’t want to grow? What if you are looking to sell your business and retire? Or put your hard earned money into something else? You’ll be pleased to know our corporate solicitors can help you with that too.
How our solicitors can help you
Something that sets us apart from other regional firms is our expertise in high value and complicated corporate work. As proof of this, world famous crockery brand, Royal Crown Derby, turned to us when they needed to organise their sale.
And when Derby County Football Club wanted to sell a significant stake to the entrepreneur behind online gaming sensation Candy Crush, they asked us for help. It is this level of work that has established us as one of the best corporate teams in the East Midlands.
By investing time with you to understand your objectives, we can focus on what’s important commercially.
Our experience means we know where there is potential for negotiation, and where there isn’t. This allows us to work with you to deliver the best outcome, on time and on budget.
And unlike other firms, you will be advised by a partner. Meaning you save money by not needing a second opinion.
Here are some recent work highlights:
- Advised French multinational Altrad SA on its UK acquisitions of companies with turnovers of between £3m and £50m, for undisclosed sums;
- Advised shareholders on the sale of Clear Environmental Consultants to a subsidiary of RPS Group plc for up to £8.34m;
- Advised the shareholders of Royal Crown Derby on its sale to Steelite International plc;
- Advised UK shareholders on trans-Atlantic management buy-out of the Greenbank Group;
- Advised shareholders on the sale of builders merchant J F Beale Limited to national operator, Huws Gray;
- Advised Aspin Group plc on the acquisition of McGrattan Piling;
- Advised shareholders on the sale of self storage company, Capital Storage, to private equity-backed national storage brand, Storage King; and
- Advised management on the management buy-out of a £20m turnover IT service provider.
Click on the below to read our corporate legal services:
Sales, Mergers & Acquisitions
Whether you are looking at an acquisition or disposal to achieve your growth or exit strategy, our experienced corporate lawyers will support you on your acquisition, sale or merger.
On the buy-out side, we support management buy-in and buy-out teams by steering them through the complexities of a buy-out including their arrangements with each other, banks and equity providers.
We work on deals across all industry sectors and whilst no two deals (nor clients) are the same the underlying structures and themes are fairly similar. Therefore we are well versed with simple or complex earn-out structures, deferred consideration mechanisms, warranties and indemnities, among others.
Our deal values are typically between £2m and £50m. In any year we might advise on total deal values in excess of £150m. Examples of our advisory work include:
- Advised French multinational Altrad SA on its UK acquisitions of companies with turnovers of between £3m and £50m, for undisclosed sums
- Advised shareholders on the sale of Clear Environmental Consultants to a subsidiary of RPS Group plc for up to £8.34m
- Advised the shareholders of Royal Crown Derby on its sale to Steelite International plc
- Advised UK shareholders on trans-Atlantic management buy-out of the Greenbank Group
- Advised shareholders on the sale of builders merchant J F Beale Limited to national operator, Huws Gray
- Advised Aspin Group plc on the acquisition of McGrattan Piling
- Advised shareholders on the sale of self storage company, Capital Storage, to private equity-backed national storage brand, Storage King
- Advised management on the management buy-out of a £20m turnover IT service provider
Here’s what our clients say:
Ray Neilson (UK Group Managing Director, Altrad SA):
“This acquisition forms part of the bigger plan to provide the UK market with products and services from Altrad, which now owns more than 80 subsidiary companies. The Corporate team, supported by Martyn Brierley, were excellent as has proved to be the case with each of these important acquisitions. Nothing was too much trouble and the team always made themselves available to work as a vital and integral member of the Altrad acquisition team. We look forward to working together in the future and highly recommend their services to others.”
Steve Tysoe (Managing Director, Altrad Beaver 84):
“This is the Group’s sixth UK acquisition and, as usual, the Corporate team at Flint Bishop were excellent. They always seem to know what is important to a deal, and act quickly to ensure everything runs as smooth as possible. They are trusted corporate advisors.”
David De Rosa (Managing Director of Clear Environmental Consultants):
“The sale process was intense and daunting, but Martyn and the team at Flint Bishop were excellent in guiding and supporting us through the process. We really appreciate the effort, commitment and professionalism of the team. Equally, we enjoyed the friendly approach that kept us going through all the hard work.”
Joint Ventures & Shareholder Agreements
We regularly assist clients in drawing up or advising on the terms of their joint venture and shareholder arrangements.
Whether a corporate joint venture, or simply the shareholder arrangements between private individuals, we review and advise on the documentation. Typically the documents consist of articles of association and a shareholders or investment agreement. The matters we pay particular attention to involve the transfer of shares including restrictions on transfer, compulsory transfer upon the occurrence of certain events, requirements to fund the JV company and the ability to deal with minority shareholders and ensure they do not have veto rights over the company’s affairs.
In the context of joint ventures, we will also deal with the transfer of assets, contracts and employees into the JV company. Where required, we will also identify with our clients the nature of ongoing trading relationships between shareholders and the JV company and ensure these are appropriately documented to achieve the parties’ objectives.
We have advised on JV deals and shareholder arrangements in all types of sectors including property development, IT, engineering and residential care. Examples of our work are:
- Advised residential care company, Inspiring the Next Generation Ltd on its joint venture with Loughborough-based Rushcliffe Care’s child services division, trading as The Boulters Ltd, creating the Esland Group;
- Advised a publicly listed property development company on a property development joint venture; and
- Advised Derby County Football Club on the significant minority investment by Derby entrepreneur Mel Morris.
Here’s what our clients say:
John Stamp (Chief Executive Officer of Esland Group):
“The Corporate team at Flint Bishop have worked closely with me on this joint venture, supporting right from initial conversations between both parties to advice post deal. I expect sound advice and strong analytical skills as a given from any Law firm, the Flint Bishop Corporate team also happen to be great people to work with, which is why they’ll be with us as we grow and develop Esland Group.”
Sam Rush (President and Chief Executive of Derby County Football Club):
“Yet again the Corporate team have proven what great commercial lawyers they are. They worked around the clock to get this deal done, which all parties are tremendously grateful for.”
Our specialist banking lawyers advise many major banks and corporate borrowers on the funding of transactions including corporate acquisitions, buy-outs and asset or invoice discounting.
We regularly advise both small and large businesses on all types of lending and security arrangements including simple loans starting at £100k, restructuring of debt and complex facility documents of up to £30m, whether as part of group restructures or corporate acquisitions.
Given our in-depth experience of loan agreements we are often able to pre-empt lenders’ requests, so saving time and money for our clients.
Examples of our finance deals are:
- Advised a borrower on a commercial property acquisition and development facility of £53m;
- Advised MPS Care Group on a refinance and property acquisition facility of £16.5m;
- Advised Greenbank Group (UK) on its management buy-out facility with Handelsbanken; and
- Advised ABN Amro Commercial Finance plc on its funding of various acquisitions in the East Midlands.
Here’s what our clients say:
Paul Warren-Gray (Director of MPS Care Ltd):
“We want to jointly voice our thanks for the way that the legal aspect of the transaction, led by Ran Oren, Head of Corporate Finance at Flint Bishop and Lewis Rose, in addition to their respective teams, was handled.”
Corporate Governance, Formations & Company Secretarial
We advise directors and shareholders of companies in connection with their duties. This often requires us to advise on matters such as conflicts of interest, improper conduct or how to deal with minority directors or shareholders. We can help to prepare for board or shareholder meetings, particular when the subject-matter of those meetings may be contested or sensitive.
We also incorporate companies and partnerships and charge a fixed fees from as little as £315 including VAT for this service. Where more complex shareholder arrangements are anticipated, particularly when there are two or more shareholders, we would deal with shareholder agreements and articles of association tailored to your specific requirements.
Two government schemes, known as EIS and SEIS, have served to create far greater financial incentives for those considering investing into start-up companies. Understanding these could be a great way to encourage investment in your start-up business. For more information on this click here.
We provide you with the support and advice you require to achieve your goals. Each client is guaranteed a partner-led approach, ensuring you receive practical and commercial solutions. This avoids the need for second opinions and the associated delays and cost.
Need help from a corporate solicitor now?
Then contact Martyn Brierley on 01332 226 188. Or click here to email.